Monday, November 23, 2009

On a serious note

This is my 71st blog posting since September 21, six days into of joining Weight Watchers, so that’s one way to keep track of how many days I have been on the program. If you have been following along with me, you know that my daily postings are generally ones that poke fun at…me.

Today, this posting is going to be a serious one. Don’t be scared…I will revert back to the other type tomorrow.

People who know me now, with a few exceptions, have not known me through my ups and downs on the scale. I revealed to you that I am a repeat visitor to Weight Watchers and average once every decade. I did not tell you that in between those visits, I have tried many other “diets” including ones that were delivered in boxes and tasted like boxes, ones that were loaded with butter and meat, ones that were loaded with grapefruits, ones that came with over the counter capsules that made me talk faster than I already do, and the list goes on.

The point is that every time I tried to lose weight, I was looking for a quick way to look better in my clothes.

The reason I have gone serious on you, now, is that a family member, who does know me in all of my various sizes, asked me why this time was going to be different. I’ve had almost 10 weeks to think about the answer, and I have come up with two of them.

When I was in my 20s, 30s, and even my 40s, I never thought much about my health. I have never have smoked and don’t drink, so my philosophy on being overweight was the proverbial, “I can always go on a diet.” Something changed for me in my 50s.

While I like to think that I feel exactly the same as I did through those other decades, I don’t. I get stiff if I have been sitting too long, getting out of bed sometimes includes a groan, and occasionally, my fingers don’t bend the way I want them to bend, which is a drag when you type as much as I do. If I get rid of the extra weight, I will help my 1951 body perform better. Considering its put up with all my dieting shenanigans, it’s the least that I can do for it.

The other reason to lose this weight centers on my husband. He is still a “young guy”, at 47 and after almost 19 years together; I want to be able to continue to have a body that can keep up. I know that may sound weird, but I know what it’s going to be like for him as he enters a decade that I have already left, but he doesn’t know exactly how it feels these days to be me. I’ve got to help myself be a better functioning me.

So there you have it. Tomorrow is weigh-in day, and I’ll keep you posted.

Talk to you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment