Monday, September 21, 2009

How Movie Club motivates my weight loss...and I can still eat the popcorn

Should I blame it on Movie Club…or thank them. I’m going to thank them, but you need to know how this idea to chronicle my next 50 weeks came about and why to understand how my Movie Club got me off my *** and into a Weight Watchers meeting.

Let’s begin with the fact that I don’t exercise. I never did. I was the kid picked last for all sports teams and dreaded P.E. class because I hated to be out of breath, which I frequently was because I was the “overweight one. “ I come from a long line of non-athletes. My father and mother prided themselves in the fact that they hated P.E. class, and I wanted to be just like them. They turned out just fine, and not overweight, so if I waited long enough, I would be just like them…or so I thought.

I must have gotten the genes of some of my other “bigger” relatives who didn’t exercise. So, before I go any further with this weight loss idea, let me just say that after 57 years of not sweating, being out of breath and avoiding “spinning classes”, which I thought had something to do with yarn, I’m not changing a thing in that department.

If you want to follow my story, be prepared for one that centers around my eating, not my exercising.

Which gets back to Movie Club. Every other month, my club of six couples, meets and discusses a movie over a potluck dinner. This month’s pick, and the meeting is tonight, is Julie & Julia. If you don’t know about this movie, which is unlikely if you are reading this column which ties into food, you will remember that Julie is the young woman who decided to make 524 recipes in 365 days using Julia Childs’s cookbook, Mastering the Art of French Cooking.

By writing her blog, Julie was forced to be accountable and finish all of the recipes in the allotted time. I know that I operate the best if I am forced to be accountable, so it makes perfect sense to me that if I report in to you on a regular basis, I am more likely to succeed with my goal of losing 50 pounds in 50 weeks.

Now, it’s not going to be a “slam dunk” for me because I love to eat. I don’t have any other excuses than that. It’s interesting that my two Labrador retrievers are slim and fit and never get table food because I want them to live FOREVER. But when it comes to me, I don’t seem to have the same motivation. I don’t want to live forever, but I do want to be around a lot longer, so I know I have to treat myself as well as I treat my dogs.

So, join me and see how my shopping for food, preparing my meals, attending Weight Watcher meetings, going out to eat and going on vacation, one of which is a seven day cruise, is working for me.

And share your successes with me. Whether you are an armchair follower or a partner in my weight loss journey, let me know how you are doing.

Talk to you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment