Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A Californian's perspective on fruits and vegetables


Time to report on my weigh-in, as it’s Tuesday again.  The good news is that I lost the .6 pounds that I gained last week, so the total loss is back to 30.2 pounds.  I made sure that yesterday’s meals were salt-free, and I ate my dinner on the early side in order to stack the deck in my favor.

Today’s meeting topic was fruits and vegetables and how eating them can add so much to successfully navigating the Weight Watchers journey.  I was telling my husband that I believe that this topic has less impact in California because we get such wonderful choices of fresh fruits and vegetables.  Most of us incorporate them into our diets, because they are so easy to obtain.

Now, if I were a Weight Watchers leader in other parts of the country, I think that there would be a lot more discussion on how to get at least five servings of them into your diet.  I have traveled, for business, to some pretty remote locations and when I ordered vegetables or a salad for dinner in a restaurant, the pickings were might slim and the preparation was even worse.

I think I have gotten spoiled living out here for over 20 years.  I love how much fresh “everything” is available and how you don’t have to be a chef in order to prepare it in an enjoyable fashion.  

But, I will admit that before Weight Watchers, my husband would bring home fresh fruit, and I would let it go to waste because I was eating the ice cream in my freezer.  His words, “are you going to eat this because I won’t buy it any more if you aren’t” were followed by my words of, “ I’ll get around to it.”  I rarely got around to it.

Nobody in my house has had to ask or answer that question any more.  We run through fresh fruits and vegetables very quickly, and my freezer no longer contains ice cream.

Talk to you soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment