Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Lunch for 6019

When we set off to the dock to meet the Oasis of the Seas, I was prepared for any food emergency. I had traveled from California to Florida carrying 12 Nature Valley Oats N’ Honey granola bars, each containing my four points of security. My sister, who needed to gain weight, was traveling with another six granola bars to add calories to her daily diet. We made quite a team.

We boarded the ship at 2 p.m. and did what every one of the 6019 passengers did when beginning a cruise…looked for lunch. There were plenty of options available, and we chose to visit the CafĂ© Promenade for gourmet sandwiches and pastries. This is where the granola bars first came into play.

While my family members enjoyed all the sandwiches, brownies, cookies and cake that they felt like consuming, I pulled out my granola bar and teamed it with a diet Coke. I was perfectly happy with my choice, knowing that in about three hours we would be eating our first dinner in the Opus Dining Room.

So, my first tip to anyone out there who is planning a cruise is to plan ahead and to know when you are really hungry. It’s easy to be lured into eating every hour of the day because free food is around every corner.

Knowing your body’s hunger schedule and not giving in to the temptation to eat “just because it’s there” goes a long way into staying on the program. And carrying a familiar snack with a known point value, like granola bars, can help weather a food emergency.

More cruise stories tomorrow, meanwhile…

Talk to you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment