Saturday, October 10, 2009

Happy Birthday...even without the cake


Last evening, I faced the beast and won. Have you ever been in the same room with a Costco sheet cake and didn’t give in to its call?

Let’s go back.  We were invited to a birthday party, so there was definitely going to be a cake in attendance.  About an hour before heading out to the soiree, I decided to plan my evening’s eating strategy.  Besides the cake, there was also dinner.  I had half my daily points ready to go, plus I could dip into my weekly allowance, if needed. 

I didn’t want to show up ravenous, so I had some popcorn before jumping into my car.  I enjoyed a dinner of pasta and vegetable kabobs.  It was a buffet, so I could sample several bites of pasta and go heavy on the kabobs.

And then the song started…Happy Birthday was being sung, the candles were flickering and the Costco sheet cake with strawberry filling arrived on the scene.  I sat six inches from the entire cake, helped pass out plates to guests and had NONE of it.  I wasn’t even tempted.  I kept thinking about my giant fudge bar, topped with fresh raspberries, that I had set aside for my return home.

It worked.  I left the party happy that I had attended and pleased that I had resisted the cake.  I could have used those weekly points, but I liked it better not using them…more leftover cake for the birthday girl today.

Talk to you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment