Sunday, August 8, 2010

Betting on dad


After returning home from dinner this evening, my dad, sister and I got into a discussion about weight.  My sister is very thin, and I am actually amazed that she is a member of our family.  My dad weighed 195 pounds, a healthy weight for his height…until the last 10 years.  It crept up about 10 pounds and hovers there.  He wants it to go back down but admits that it’s just too hard for him to resist certain foods.

And then there is me…eager to impart all the wisdom of 47 weeks of Weight Watchers on my dad with the hope that he will recognize that healthy eating is what he should be striving for and not just a number on the scale.  As a matter of fact, I told him he was better off avoiding the daily scale monitoring because it can make you nuts.

My sister and I worked on the approach of substituting healthy choices, like fruit, for cookies and cake and trying to eat smaller portions.  My dad eats in restaurants several nights a week, and we suggested that he split his entrée with another dining partner or to take half of it home for another meal.

I believe he really is going to try to modify his eating agenda.  I asked him to think about this way of eating as a healthier lifestyle rather than a diet because we all know that a diet isn’t a long -term solution.

My dad is 85 years old…and if I was a betting person, I’d bet he is going to succeed.

Talk to you soon.






No comments:

Post a Comment