Saturday, December 12, 2009

My love/hate affair with a pie

Today, I had four people joining me for an afternoon business meeting at my home. With my never-ending cold still fighting a winning battle against me, I decided to order my Safeway weekly delivery yesterday and include a pound cake in the order, so that I had something to serve with coffee today.

The order was delivered in the pouring rain, and I was glad that all I had to do was unpack it…until I discovered that the only item missing was the pound cake. It was time to move to plan B and that involved baking the apple pie in my freezer. My original plan called for no aroma of baking pies in my home. Even with my cold, I could smell the apple pie for the hour that it baked and for the additional hours that the smell lingered in the air because it was too rainy and miserable to let the smell out.

The guests happily indulged in the warm, loaded with apples, lattice crusted pie. I, on the other hand, glared at it. If I hadn’t had to smell it for hours, it probably wouldn’t have had as much “pull.” It almost took on a life of its own, sitting proudly on its baking tray for all the guests to see. I hate the pie.

Just to put your mind at ease, I didn’t touch a morsel. There is still half a pie in the kitchen, but I decided to cover its annoying face with aluminum foil, so I didn’t have to look at it anymore. And, the smell is finally gone.

Next time, I’ll get in the car and pick up a pound cake.

Talk to you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment