Saturday, December 19, 2009

My super duper birthday present

It’s Saturday, and I am glad that I am not traveling to the East Coast for the holidays, specifically Washington DC where my son, daughter-in-law and grandson are trapped indoors watching the snow. As much as I wish I could be with them for Christmas, I learned years ago that traveling during the holidays into or over areas that are snow-prone sets you up for a potentially frustrating experience. And we all know that being stuck in an airport can lead to too much exposure to the smell of Cinnabon, which can wear down even the most stoic of us.

So, back home in dry Marin County, I’m working my way through the contents of my refrigerator. With all the holiday social activities on our “dance card,” I am reluctant to buy too much at Safeway. I don’t want to end up throwing it out.

Today, for example, I prepared my lunch using leftovers from my birthday dinner. Last evening, I celebrated with prime rib, which was delicious. I ordered an end cut and immediately cut it in half and sent one side to the kitchen for a box. When I resurrected the other side for lunch, I got to weigh it on the new home scale that my husband bought me for my birthday present. Before you think that was a strange present, let me tell you it is exactly what I wanted.

My super duper OXO Good Grips Food Scale with the Pull Out Display told me that my leftovers weighed four ounces. The before Weight Watchers version of me would have eaten all eight ounces at the dinner and not thought twice about it.

It’s kind of fun to see what you can concoct from leftovers and even more fun to see if you can whittle down the stuff that ends up as orphan bits and pieces in your refrigerator. I’m going to check-in there now and see what I can come up with for tonight’s adventure meal. And, of course, weigh it on my new super duper scale.

Talk to you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment