Saturday, January 2, 2010

Beating the New Year's resolution odds

I watched the Today Show this morning and one of the topics, which was no surprise on January 2, was how to a keep New Year’s resolution. The reporter pointed out that 45% of all resolutions are focused on losing weight and getting more fit. Then, the other shoe dropped…only 6% of all resolutions actually are accomplished. Yikes!

I do not lump my weight loss plan into the resolution category. As I have mentioned in previous postings, I started Weight Watchers in September and not on January 1, and I am in it for the long haul in order to maintain a healthier lifestyle.

There were five points that were mentioned in the Today Show piece to help those who want to beat the 6% odds on resolution success, and they are:

Keep it simple.
Think about a goal that is meaningful.
Take personal inventory.
Join a group.
Do the best you can every moment.

I do make a few resolutions every year, and one of them this year is to go through every drawer and closet in my home, throw out or donate unused items, and organize the remaining contents. I set a daily minimum of three drawers or one closet and if the spirit moves me, I exceed it.

Yesterday, which was day one of the resolution, I finished 12 drawers. It was a slow day at my house, as my husband was at work, and I tackled them throughout the daylight hours. Today, I have finished two closets and one drawer. It’s time to hit a few more drawers and call it quits for the day.

I’m keeping it simple, it’s meaningful, I’ve taken personal inventory and I’m doing the best I can with this resolution. I will not need to join a group for this project, although it would go a lot faster if a group came to my home and did it with me. Any interest?

Talk to you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment