Saturday, January 16, 2010

Just for the "halibut"

Last evening, I felt like going out for a date night with my husband after he came home from work. He had texted me earlier in the day to see what I wanted to do, and I decided that we should try a restaurant in Novato that we had heard about but had never visited.

We arrived at the restaurant at 7:45 and the whole thing was over, and we were home in one hour. That’s really not our “cup of tea” when it comes to dining out. I went into the meal with 12 points, so I knew I would have lots of choices. Within five minutes of sitting down, the server came to take our order. We could have stalled out for a while, but we were hungry and the specials worked for both of us, so we forged ahead. I was excited about fresh halibut served with a vegetable risotto.

Like magic, the meal appeared about 10 minutes later and I split it in half so I could take home what would become my lunch today. Except that it didn’t…I was so under whelmed by the fish, which was like white rubber, that I never wanted to see it again.

The server had taken the half away and boxed it before I knew how much I didn’t like it. So, I debated whether to leave it on the table, “by accident” or dispose of it elsewhere. Once before, I had tried to leave a doggie bag on the table in a very upscale restaurant in Florida. The server chased me into the parking lot to return it to me. I didn’t want a repeat of that episode.

So, I took the box home and dropped it in the outside garbage can before crossing my threshold. I did feel guilty about throwing away food, but I knew it wasn’t going to work for me ever again.

The only leftovers that I had were the six points of my daily total that were available when I got home. I had lost the desire to eat thanks to the really yucky fish. Oh well, maybe it was just a bad night at the restaurant. It’s going to be a while before I go back to find out.

Talk to you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment